Summery chilled gazpacho is dosed with gin and spiced up for this light and refreshing take on the traditional Bloody Mary. Served with a garnish of pickled shrimp, it's the perfect excuse to have your brunch and drink it, too.
Why It Works
- Pickled shrimp offer a briny counterpoint for the spicy-sweet, vegetal cocktail. Salting the vegetables before blending them draws out their moisture for intensified flavor.
- Yield:Makes 6 cocktails
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- For the Pickled Shrimp:
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- One-quarter of a medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh juice from 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- For the Cocktail:
- 2 pounds very ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 large English cucumber (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 small red onion (about 5 ounces), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 red bell pepper (about 5 ounces), cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups gin
- 2 tablespoons grated horseradish from a jar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce such as Tabasco or Franks
Make the pickled shrimp: Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add shrimp and cook 1 minute 30 seconds. Drain and shock in a large bowl of ice water. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, combine onion, garlic, cider vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and bay leaf in a non-reactive bowl, mason jar, or container. Add shrimp and stir well. Place in fridge for at least 45 minutes and up to 2 days.
Make the cocktail: Combine tomatoes, cucumber, onion, bell pepper, and garlic in a large bowl and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil and vinegar on top. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
Toss all ingredients with a wooden spoon or by hand until evenly incorporated. Transfer half of the contents, including liquid at bottom of bowl, to the jar of a blender. Blend on high speed until completely smooth, about 3 minutes. Press mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl. Repeat with remaining mixture (you may need to work in more batches). Season with more salt, pepper, and vinegar as desired. Pass through strainer one more time.
Pour mixture into a large pitcher. Add gin, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Adjust to taste.
Set out 6 tall beer or Collins glasses. Fill with ice and pour drink on top. Garnish each rim with 3 pickled shrimp.