Fresh blanched asparagus and mint pair with creamy ricotta cheese on this simple open-faced sandwich. The key is to get the best ingredients and treat them as simply as possible.
- Yield:Serves 2
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:10 minutes
- Kosher salt
- 8 to 12 stalks asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 4 slices toasted hearty bread
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- 1/2 cup store-bought or homemade ricotta cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Roughly torn fresh mint leaves
Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil and prepare an ice bath. Add asparagus to pot and cook until tender-crisp, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Drain asparagus and immediately transfer to an ice bath to chill. Let cool for 1 minute. Dry carefully, then roughly chop into disks or batons.
Drizzle toast with olive oil. Spread evenly with ricotta cheese and season with pepper. Top with chopped asparagus and torn mint leaves. Drizzle with more olive oil and serve immediately.