Inspired by the flavors of a roast chicken dinner—the chicken stuffed with cloves of garlic, lemons, and thyme, and served alongside mushrooms and mashed potatoes—these potato chips are meant to evoke the essence of a familiar, comforting meal. Bonus: They're vegan.
Note: It's important that the chips are seasoned and flavored as soon as they come out of the oil, while they're still hot and glistening.
- Yield:Makes 1 large bowl potato chips
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:10 minutes
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 ounce dried mushrooms, such as cremini
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1 recipe Extra-Crunchy Potato Chips (see note above)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In an electric spice grinder or high-power blender, combine nutritional yeast, dried mushrooms, lemon zest, garlic powder, and thyme and blend until a fine powder forms.
While chips are still hot and fresh from the oil, and working in batches if necessary, set in a large paper-towel-lined bowl and sprinkle nutritional yeast mixture all over. Season with salt and pepper. Using clean hands, toss to coat chips evenly, then transfer to a serving bowl. Cooled chips can be stored in a zipper-lock bag or airtight container for up to 2 days.