This recipe appears in:Party Drinks: Easy and Elegant Smoky Sage Punch
This citrusy and smoky tea punch is perfect for a holiday crowd.
Why this recipe works:
- This big-batch drink is easy to prep 24 hours in advance, so you don't have to stress when you're hosting a crowd.
- Smoky lapsang souchong tea adds depth of flavor without overpowering your punch.
- Jack Rabbit gin from Beehive Distilling uses similar botanicals to the base of the punch—such as sage and citrus—enhancing the overall flavor. If Jack Rabbit is not available in your neck of the woods, try Uncle Val's or St. George's Botanivore.
- For the Sage Syrup:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) water
- 8 ounces (about 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon) sugar
- 10 medium sage leaves
- For the Oleo-Saccharum:
- 2 lemons
- 1 orange
- 4 ounces (about 4 1/2 tablespoons) sugar
- For the Lapsang Souchong Tea:
- 2 cups (16 ounces) boiling water
- 1 tablespoon lapsang souchong tea leaves
- For the Punch:
- 3 cups (24 ounces) New American style gin, such as Jack Rabbit from Beehive Distilling
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) freshly squeezed lemon juice from about 4 lemons
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) orange curacao, such as Pierre Ferrand
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) sage syrup
- 2 cups (16 ounces) lapsang souchong tea
- Orange rounds, lemon rounds, sage leaves for garnish
For the Sage Syrup: Combine sugar, water, and sage in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to boil, remove from heat, and let sit 1 hour. Strain and store in an airtight container up to 1 week.
For the Oleo-Saccarum: Peel zests from lemons and orange, trying to remove as little white pith as possible. Reserve peeled fruit for another use. Toss the peels with the sugar, muddle, and let sit 6 hours or up to overnight in a nonreactive bowl, covered. Strain peels from the mixture, set liquid aside.
For the Lapsang Souchong tea: Pour boiling water over tea in a heat-proof container. Let steep 4 minutes. Strain and set brewed tea aside. Let cool completely before using.
For the Punch: Combine gin, tea, oleo-saccarum, sage syrup, lemon juice, and orange curacao in a punch bowl or other serving piece. Stir to combine. Add orange wheels, lemon wheels and sage leaves for garnish. Serve with ladle into ice-filled punch or rocks glasses.