Incorporating the classic flavors of cranberry sauce—tart cranberries, the warm brightness of orange zest, and a kick of ginger—this easy cocktail re-imagines the timeless flavors of fall. Batching the mixer before your party makes hosting stress-free.
Why this recipe works:
- Using unsweetened cranberry juice as a base packs in the tart berry flavor and lets you adjust the sweetness to balance with a flavored syrup.
- White rum gives a boozy kick without overpowering the notes of spice in the simple syrup.
- The spiced cranberry mixer can be made in advance, and individual servings are topped off with sparkling wine at party time to make for easy low-fuss serving.
Note: The sliced fresh cranberries can be prepped in advance and stored in a ziploc bag to prevent them from drying out.
- Yield:makes 12 servings
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- For the Orange Ginger Simple Syrup:
- peeled zest from 2 oranges, white pith removed
- 1/2 cup grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- For the Spiced Cranberry Mixer:
- 6 tablespoons orange ginger simple syrup
- 2 cups unsweetened 100% cranberry juice, such as Knudsen's
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons white rum, such as Flor de Cana Extra Seco
- For each cocktail:
- 1/4 cup Spiced Cranberry Mixer
- 2 tablespoons chilled dry sparkling wine
- Sliced fresh cranberries for garnish, optional (see note above)
For the Orange Ginger Simple Syrup: Combine the orange zest, grated ginger, sugar, and water in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 7 minutes. Let cool to room temperature then strain through a fine mesh strainer and discard solids. Refrigerate in a sealed container until ready to use, up to 1 week.
For the Spiced Cranberry Mixer: In a pitcher or quart jar, stir together the orange ginger syrup, cranberry juice, and rum. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 week after you've made the orange ginger syrup.
For each cocktail: Pour spiced cranberry mixer into a coupe glass and top with sparkling wine. Stir once and garnish with a few thinly sliced fresh cranberries.