Glazed in a buttery sweet-tart sauce, these roasted shallots are an easy, elegant holiday side dish.
Note: This recipe can work with different types of vinegar and sugar: we tested it successfully using sherry vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and apple cider vinegar, as well as both granulated and demerara sugar.
- Yield:Serves 6 to 8 as a side dish
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:50 minutes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar (see note above)
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar (see note above)
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 1/2 pounds shallots, peeled, root end trimmed but left intact
- Kosher salt
Preheat oven to 400°F. In a 12-inch oven-safe skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat until foaming. Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Stir in vinegar, add thyme, and simmer until a glaze forms, about 1 minute. Add shallots, season with salt, and stir turning ,to coat with glaze. Transfer to oven and roast until shallots are browned and tender, about 40 minutes. Serve shallots right away, or refrigerate up to 3 days and reheat before serving.