Roasted in the oven and basted with beer, these German-style pork sausages turn out juicy, tender, and lightly browned all over. Quick-pickled peppers and onions, meanwhile, add a flavorful, bright counterpoint.
Why this recipe works:
- Sweet peppers and onions are bathed in an tart cider-vinegar brine, which provides a pleasant counterpoint to the plump pork sausages.
- Basting with beer adds flavor while keeping the sausages moist; afterwards it forms a pan sauce that's spooned over the meat.
Note: This recipe is designed for fresh, not pre-cooked, pork sausages.
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:About 5 hours
- For the Pickled Vegetables:
- 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 10 small, long hot peppers, such as finger peppers, stemmed
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh juice from 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 medium clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- For the Sausages:
- 1 1/2 pounds German-style pork sausages, such as garlic sausage or bratwurst (see note above)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup German-style lager beer
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Pickled Vegetables: Pack bell pepper, long peppers, and onion in a large clean glass jar. Bring water, cider vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt, garlic, peppercorns, mustard seeds and thyme to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer until sugar and salt dissolve. Pour hot pickling liquid into the jar, making sure to fully submerge peppers and onions. Seal jar and allow to stand at room temperature for at least 4 hours and up to 1 day.
For the Sausages: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
Strain pickled peppers and onion through a mesh strainer set over a bowl; reserve pickling liquid for later use. Combine pickled peppers and onion with sausages in a large roasting pan. Add olive oil, beer, and red wine vinegar and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast, basting occasionally with the liquid in the roasting pan, until sausages are cooked through and browned, about 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve, spooning pan juices and some of the reserved pickling liquid, if desired, on top.