This is what happens when a pizza and a quesadilla meet down in the van by the river for a little late night action: Cheesy, greasy, crisp-edged glory.
Why this recipe works:
- Constructing a quesadilla in a cast iron skillet that just barely fits it helps create an extra-crisp bottom crust.
- Cheese spread out to the very edges crisps up creating a browned, flavorful crust.
- The pizza is cooked with a combination of the stovetop and the broiler to deliver results in under 15 minutes.
- Yield:Serves 1 to 2
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large flour tortillas that just fit inside your cast iron skillet
- 3/4 cup store-bought or homemade pizza sauce
- 5 ounce shredded whole milk low moisture mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 basil leaves, roughly torn
- Additional toppings, as desired
Adjust oven rack to 6 to 8 inches below broiler element and preheat broiler to high. Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over high heat until shimmering. Reduce heat to low and wipe out excess oil with a paper towel.
Place tortilla in skillet with the rougher textured-side facing down. Spread half of sauce evenly over tortilla all the way to the edges. Spread half of mozzarella evenly over tortilla all the way to the edges. Place second tortilla on top. Cook, swirling pan occasionally, until crisp on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Carefully flip with a large spatula.
Spread remaining sauce evenly over tortilla all the way to the edges. Spread remaining mozzarella and half of Parmesan evenly over tortilla all the way to the edges. Scatter with basil and add toppings as desired.
Place skillet under broiler and broil until sausage is cooked through and cheese is melted and starting to brown in spots, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Using a small metal spatula, gently pry edges of pizza, releasing the cheese from the skillet. Peek under bottom. If more crispness is desired, place skillet over medium-heat and cook, swirling pizza and peeking occasionally, until desired crispness is achieved. Slide pizza out onto a cutting board. Cut and serve immediately.