Made with cream and sugar, flavored with lime zest, and thickened with lime juice into a pudding-like consistency, these possets are an easy, elegant chilled dessert. A simple mango-and-mint fruit salad adds refreshing and tropical touch.
Why this recipe works:
- Adding acidic lime juice to the cream causes it to thicken into a spoonable dessert, while sugar balances the tart lime flavor.
- With no eggs, no gelatin, and no starch to thicken the cream, the recipe is deceptively easy: the only thing required is the the time necessary for the cream to fully set.
Lime Possets With Mint and Mango Fruit Salad
About This Recipe
|Active time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||15 minutes plus 4 hours or overnight|
|This recipe appears in:||How to Make Posset, the Egg-Free, Gelatin-Free, Starch-Free Pudding|
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice from about 5 limes, plus zest of 1 lime
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 6 large mint leaves, minced
- Whipped cream, for serving
In a medium saucepan, whisk together heavy cream, sugar, and a pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Whisk in lime juice and zest. Pour cream mixture into glasses or ramekins, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until possets are set, at least 4 ours and preferably overnight.
In a medium bowl, toss together mango and mint. Spoon mango on top of possets, mound dollops of whipped cream on top, and serve right away.