The reliable combo of mint and lamb joins forces in these juicy kebabs with red onion, zucchini, and a rich yogurt marinade.
Why this recipe works:
- Leg of lamb is perfect for cutting into cubes, and provides a rich lamb flavor without as much fat and sinew as other cuts.
- A yogurt and mint marinade helps keep the meat tender and juicy.
- Zucchini and red onion add a fresh contrast to the rich lamb.
Yogurt- and Mint-Marinated Lamb Skewers
About This Recipe
|Active time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||4 hours 30 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Flavor-Packed Yogurt- and Mint-Marinated Lamb Skewers|
- For the Marinade and Lamb:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice plus 1 teaspoon zest from 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup tightly packed mint leaves
- 1/4 cup tightly packed cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly minced garlic (about 6 medium cloves)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- For the Skewers:
- 1 large red onion, sliced into 1 1/2-inch squares about 3 layers each
- 1 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes prior to use
- Type of fire: Direct
- Grill heat: medium-high
For the Marinade: Place yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, mint leaves, cilantro leaves, garlic, salt, paprika, and black pepper in the jar of a blender. Blend marinade until smooth. Place lamb cubes in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade into bag and seal, removing as much air as possible. Place in refrigerator and marinate for at least 4 and up to 8 hours.
For the Skewers: Thread lamb onto skewers, alternating with onion and zucchini.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over entire surface of coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Grill skewers until well browned on all sides and center of lamb registers 130°F on an instant-read thermometer, 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer skewers to platter and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.