This recipe appears in:Chinese Aromatics 101: Stir-Fried Tripe With Pickled Mustard Greens
This dish, from the Hakka Chinese community, is an offal lover's dream: snappy omasum (bible) tripe stir-fried with tart mustard greens, fermented black beans, and red chilies.
Why this recipe works:
- Rinsing the tripe in a solution of cornstarch and rice wine cleans it for an even fresher taste.
- Adding ginger and scallion to the wok before the tripe infuses the oil with their strong, fresh flavors, which then balance any funky organ-meat flavors the tripe has.
- Using omasum tripe (as opposed to soft and chewy honeycomb tripe) delivers a slightly crisp bite that's perfect when stir-fried.
- 1 pound omasum (bible) tripe
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or sake
- 1 tablespoon dried fermented black beans
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil, divided
- 2 to 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 (10.5-ounce) package Chinese pickled mustard greens, drained, squeezed dry, and thinly sliced
- 10 slices fresh peeled ginger, about 1/8 inch thick by 1 inch long
- 3 scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths, white and dark green parts divided
- 10 medium cloves garlic, halved
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 fresh red Fresno chili pepper, sliced thinly (optional)
Place tripe in a large bowl. Add cornstarch and rice wine. Rub the mixture all over tripe and let stand 30 minutes.
Rinse tripe under cold running water. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add tripe and cook for 1 minute. Drain and transfer to ice water bath to chill. Set tripe in colander to drain.
Pat tripe dry with paper towels and slice into 2 inch strips about 1/4 inch wide.
Place fermented black beans in a small bowl and fill with water. Using your fingers, gently rub black beans, then drain, pat dry with paper towels, and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok over high heat until lightly smoking. Add sliced pickled mustard greens and stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir in 2 teaspoons brown sugar, adjusting heat to prevent sugar from burning. Taste, adding more sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time, if mustard greens are too tart. Continue to stir-fry until sugar has melted. Transfer pickled mustard greens to a plate.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the wok over high heat until lightly smoking. Add fermented black beans, ginger pieces, white parts of scallion, and garlic cloves and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add tripe and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add soy sauce, chili pepper, green scallion parts, and pickled mustard greens and stir-fry until everything is combined and very hot, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.