Intensely beefy and buttery skirt steak is the star of this quick stir-fry, featuring sweet snap peas tossed in oyster sauce.
Why this Recipe Works:
- Skirt steak has a loose grain and intense flavor that makes it ideal for stir-fries.
- A marinade formulated with soy sauce, wine, cornstarch, and baking soda flavors the meat while keeping it tender.
- Stir-frying the meat and vegetables individually guarantees maximum heat for optimal texture and flavor in each ingredient.
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- For the Beef:
- 1 pound skirt steak of flap meat, thinly sliced against the grain
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- For the Stir-Fry:
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
- 1/4 cup homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablepsoons vegetable, canola, or peanut oil, divided
- 1 pound snap peas, trimmed
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 scallion, white and light green parts only, finely minced
For the Beef: Combine beef, salt, sugar, soy sauce, wine, sesame oil, baking soda, and cornstarch in a small bowl and toss to combine. Set aside for 20 minutes.
For the Stir Fry: Combine soy sauce, wine, chicken stock, oyster sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and cornstarch in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok over high heat until smoking. Add half of the beef, spreading it out in a single layer, and cook without moving until lightly browned on first side, about 1 minute. Toss and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until barely cooked through, about 1 minute longer. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Repeat with 1 more tablespoon oil and remaining beef.
Wipe out wok, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and place over high heat until smoking. Add snap peas and cook, tossing and stirring frequently, until lightly charred in spots and bright green. Add garlic, ginger, and scallions and cook, stirring, until fragrant. Return beef to wok and toss to combine. Stir sauce and add to wok. Cook, stirring and tossing constantly, until sauce is thickened and coats beef and vegetables, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.