A coating of Dijon mustard and mixed herbs gives these flavorful leg of lamb skewers a crisp, intensely flavorful crust.
Why this recipe works:
- Leg of lamb provides a rich lamb flavor without as much fat and sinew as other cuts.
- A lemon-based marinade adds a bright citrus note to the lamb.
- To keep the herbs from burning, the lamb is first seared, then the mustard and herb crust is applied and allowed cook over indirect heat.
- Yield:Serves 4-6
- Active time: 40 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 40 minutes
- For the Marinade:
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh juice from 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
- For the Herb Mixture:
- 1 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes prior to use
- Type of fire: two-zone indirect
- Grill heat: medium-high
For the Marinade: Whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Place lambs cubes in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour in marinade and seal bag, removing as much air as possible. Place in refrigerator and marinate for at least 1 and up to 5 hours.
For the Herb Mixture: Mix together thyme, sage, and rosemary in a small bowl. Set aside.
Remove lamb from marinade and thread onto skewers.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and arrange coals on one side of the charcoal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Grill skewers over direct heat until lamb is well seared on all sides, about 3 minutes per side.
Move skewers to cool side of grill and brush with mustard. Sprinkle all over with herb mixture. Cover grill and continue to cook until center of lamb registers 130°F on an instant-read thermometer. Transfer skewers to platter and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.