Zucchini and yellow squash slices are grilled and layered with softened kasseri cheese, then given a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of mint to create a fresh and satisfying side dish or appetizer.
Why this recipe works:
- Zucchini and yellow squash soften and pick up a dlicious light char flavor on the grill.
- A quick spin on the grill is all that's needed to soften Kasseri cheese.
Note: Kasseri cheese, while grill-able, can melt quickly. Keep a close eye on it, turning it and then removing it from grill as soon as it begins to soften on each side.
Grilled Summer Squash and Kasseri Cheese With Lemon and Mint
About This Recipe
|Active time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||20 minutes|
- 1 large zucchini, ends trimmed and sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large yellow squash, ends trimmed and sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 pound kasseri cheese, cut into 1/2-inch slices or wedges (see note above)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 tablespoon mint chiffonade
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Type of fire: Direct
- Grill heat: medium-high
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over entire surface of coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Brush zucchini and squash slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grillvuntil lightly charred and softened, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a tray or cutting board.
Place cheese on grill and cook until almost softened throughout, but not yet melted, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to tray or cutting board.
Layer slices of grilled cheese between slices of squash and zucchini. Drizzle with oil, squeeze on lemon juice, and sprinkle with mint. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.