Making good use of the grill, this recipe combines both grilled strawberries and seared halloumi cheese with peppery arugula, spinach, mint, and a balsamic vinaigrette to create a salad with a lot of contrasts that work incredibly well together as a whole.
Why this recipe works:
- Halloumi cheese has a high melt point, allowing it to be grilled without melting
- Grilling strawberries boosts their sweetness and softens them slightly
- A balsamic vinaigrette is a great tangy compliment to the sweet strawberries and salty halloumi
Grilled Strawberry and Halloumi Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
About This Recipe
- For the Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot (about 1 small)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1lb strawberries
- 8oz Halloumi cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3oz arugula, washed and dried
- 3oz spinach, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup packed mint chiffonade
- 4 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes prior to use
- Type of fire: Direct
- Grill heat: medium-high
To make the vinaigrette: Whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, and shallot in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over entire surface of coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Skewer strawberries and place on grill. Cook until grill marks develop, 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer strawberries to cutting board and discard skewers. Stem and quarter strawberries, cutting quarters in half if strawberries are very large.
Place halloumi on grill and cook until browned on both sides, 2-4 minutes per side. Transfer to cutting board and cut into 1/4-inch dice.
Place arugula and spinach in a large bowl, add in vinaigrette to taste, and toss to coat. Top with strawberries, halloumi, and mint. Serve immediately.