Grilled sweet corn, buttery avocado, and tangy queso fresco are a Mexican-inspired topping for these easy crostini.
Why this recipe works:
- Sweet summer corn gets an edge of deep flavor from a quick char on a hot grill.
- Avocado, queso fresco, lime, and cilantro bring well-rounded Mexican flavors to the party.
Note: The topping can be made in advance and refrigerated overnight.
Grilled Corn, Avocado, and Queso Fresco Crostini
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Makes 30 crostini|
|Active time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
|Special equipment:||Pastry brush; grill|
- 30 (1/2-inch thick) slices baguette or other crusty bread
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 medium ears corn, shucked
- 2 teaspoons canola or grapeseed oil
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup queso fresco or other firm mild white cheese, cut into small dice
- 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted and very finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 scallions, white and light green parts, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 2 tablespoons lime juice from 2 limes
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake until lightly browned and crisp, about 8 minutes. Let cool.
Light 1/2 chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over the coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Alternatively, preheat a gas grill to high, covered, for at least 10 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate.
Brush corn with canola oil and season lightly with salt. Grill corn, turning frequently, until kernels are lightly charred, 8-10 minutes total. Let cool. Cut kernels from cobs and transfer kernels to a small mixing bowl.
Add queso fresco, avocado, scallions, cilantro, lime juice, and red pepper flakes to corn and stir to combine. Season with salt. Top toasted bread slices with about corn mixture, transfer to a platter, and serve.