This black rice salad is full of color: avocado and cilantro for a shock of green, mangoes, and oranges for some stark contrast, followed by a sprinkle of red onion and a shower of earthy, crunchy pepitas, all tied together with chili and cumin-spiked orange vinaigrette.
Note: Do not overcook the rice: You want it to stand up to the vinaigrette without turning into a soggy mess. Remove it from the heat right when it loses its bite.
Fruity Black Rice Salad With Cilantro, Avocado, and Pepitas in Chili-Orange Vinaigrette
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Serves 6 to 8|
|Active time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||45 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Summer Grain Salads: Fruity Black Rice Salad With Cilantro and Mango|
- For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice from 1 orange
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Salad:
- 2 cups cooked black rice (see note above)
- 1/2 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 orange, segmented
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup pepitas, lightly toasted
For the Vinaigrette: Whisk together vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl, seasoning generously to taste with salt and pepper. Reserve.
For the Salad: Place rice in a large bowl. Add mango, avocado, orange, onion, and cilantro. Whisk vinaigrette again and add to rice a few tablespoons at a time, gently tossing salad, until dressed to taste; reserve additional vinaigrette for passing at the table. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed. Garnish with pepitas and serve.