This quick and easy crunchy topping is intended as a component of a Korean-flavored clam recipe. It's made with store-bought fried onions, shallots, and garlic, plus strips of teriyaki-flavored nori. As a stand-alone topping, it would also be delicious sprinkled onto pastas, rice dishes, and stews.
Note: Fried onions, garlic, and shallots are available at Asian markets, specialty food stores, and online. Alternatively, you could thinly slice and fry your own garlic, shallots, and red onion until browned and crisp. Terikayi-flavored nori strips are also available in specialty grocers, Asian markets, and online.
- Yield:Makes enough for 8 servings
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 1 ounces (28 grams) fried shallots (see note above)
- 1 ounces (28 grams) fried garlic (see note above)
- 1 ounces (28 grams) fried red onions (see note above)
- 1/4 ounces (7 grams) teriyaki nori (see note above)
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.5 grams) fine sea salt
- Zest from 1 lemon
In a food processor, combine fried shallots, fried garlic, fried red onions, teriyaki nori, and salt. Pulse mixture until it forms a medium-sized crumb, like fine panko crumbs. Add lemon zest and pulse to combine. Transfer crispy topping to an airtight container and reserve at room temperature for up to 2 days.