This recipe appears in:Chocolate Zucchini Cake From 'Mother Daughter Dishes'
When you've fried, baked, and sautéed all the zucchini you can, shred some to make this chocolate cake from Mother Daughter Dishes. It's baked up in a Bundt pan, and drizzled with a chocolate glaze, to make it even richer.
Why this recipe works:
- The use of shredded zucchini as well as applesauce means this cake is supremely moist, even if you happen to overbake it a little.
- The chocolate glaze on the cake couldn't be simpler; either heat up some store-bought, or mix up a homemade version (we've provided a recipe).
Excerpted from Mother Daughter Dishes by Cheryl Najafi (CherylStyle Publishing). Copyright © 2014. Photographs by Erika Shafer.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cups shredded zucchini, packed
- Your favorite store-bought chocolate frosting for glaze (optional)
Place a rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a Bundt pan then set aside.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder into a large bowl to remove any lumps, then set aside.
In a separate mixing bowl, add eggs and beat on high speed for about 2−3 minutes with a hand mixer while gradually adding the sugar. The mixture will be pale yellow in color and have a thick, creamy consistency.
Next, add the oil, applesauce and melted butter and beat thoroughly.
Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and fold gently by hand until combined.
Stir in shredded zucchini then pour the batter evenly into prepared Bundt pan. (If you are like me and love any uncooked batter or dough you’ll want to lick the spatula clean!)
Bake for 1 hour before testing for doneness. The cake may take up to 75 minutes to bake but you’ll know it’s done when a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs attached.
Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool for approximately 20 minutes before removing it from the pan. Cool completely.
If you want to add a glaze, simply microwave store-bought chocolate frosting until it reaches a thick but pourable consistency. Enjoy!