Is Magic Shell, the ice cream topping that hardens into a chocolate candy shell, the world's greatest ice cream topping? I can't say for sure, but it's definitely the most fun.
Why this recipe works:
- High-quality dark chocolate adds a rich, pleasantly bittersweet flavor to the chocolate dip.
- A perfected ratio of coconut oil to chocolate makes a dip that hardens fast and snappy over ice cream.
- Corn syrup adds sweetness and fudge-like body to the dip, and unlike sugar, it won't leave grainy chunks in the finished product.
Notes: For best results, use refined coconut oil, not unrefined or virgin. Refined coconut oils have a more neutral flavor. Store your chocolate dip at room temperature. It keeps for several months but will separate over time, so stir or shake before each use, or briefly warm up in a hot water bath or microwave until all ingredients re-combine.
The Best Homemade Chocolate Dip (aka Magic Shell)
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Makes 2 cups|
|Active time:||5 minutes|
|Total time:||5 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||5 Novelty Ice Cream Hacks With One Easy Chocolate Dip Novelty Ice Cream Week: How to Make Your Own Ice Cream Pops Novelty Ice Cream Week: How to Beat Mister Softee at His Own Soft-Serve Game Novelty Ice Cream Week: How to Make Your Own Klondike Bars Novelty Ice Cream Week: How to Make Your Own King Cones How to Make Your Own Chocolate Dip (aka Magic Shell), Ice Cream's Most Magical Topping|
- 250 grams (1/2 pound) dark chocolate, 66% to 72%, finely chopped
- 200 grams (about 1 cup) refined (not unrefined or virgin) coconut oil
- 125 grams (about 6 tablespoons) light (clear) corn syrup
Combine chocolate, oil, and corn syrup in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on half power in 15 second bursts, stirring with a spoon in between, 3 to 4 times, until chocolate is completely melted. If heated too much, the chocolate may break, forming harmless brown speckles in the sauce; blend in a blender on high speed for 30 seconds to re-emulsify the sauce.
Transfer chocolate dip to a squeeze bottle or container and store at room temperature, stirring with a spoon if it separates. For best results, let dip harden on ice cream for 30 seconds before eating.