Simple green salads provide a nice counterpoint to many of the rich, meat-based dishes in Jennifer McGruther's new cookbook, The Nourished Kitchen. This particular salad makes use of some of spring's best ingredients: radishes, herbs, and baby greens. Drizzled on top is a stellar buttermilk dressing, enriched with an egg yolk and perked up with a garden's worth of herbs. If you don't use it all on the salad, drizzle the dressing on anything you can get your hands on.
Why I picked this recipe: Green salads are a staple in my house come spring-time, but I often don't take the extra effort to make a good salad dressing. I figured I should take this opportunity to change.
What worked: Simple, elegant, and fresh, this salad was a perfect side dish.
What didn't: No problems here.
Suggested tweaks: If you can't handle raw egg yolks, you could skip it in the dressing. The final result will be a little thinner. You should also feel free to use a different selection of herbs if that's what you've got in the kitchen. Keep the proportions the same, and it'll be smooth sailing.
Reprinted with permission from The Nourished Kitchen: Farm-to-Table Recipes for the Traditional Food Lifestyle Featuring Bone Broths, Fermented Vegetables, Grass-Fed Meats, Wholesome Fats, Raw Fairy, and Kombuchas by Jennifer McGruther. Copyright 2014. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House. All rights reserved. Available wherever books are sold.
Simple Green Salad With Buttermilk Herb Dressing From 'The Nourished Kitchen'
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Serves 4 to 6|
|Active time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||20 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Simple Green Salad With Buttermilk Herb Dressing From 'The Nourished Kitchen'|
- 8 cups loosely packed mesclun greens
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 6 radishes, trimmed and sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 1 small red onion, sliced paper thin
- 1 hard-cooked egg, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons finely snipped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh chervil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Arrange the greens on a serving platter, and top them with the carrots, radishes, red onion, and egg.
Drop the egg yolk into a mixing bowl. Pour in the apple cider vinegar and buttermilk, whisking well. Drop in the garlic, herbs, pepper, and salt and continue whisking. Very slowly, drizzle the olive oil into the bowl as you continue to whisk the dressing vigorously, until the liquid thickens very slightly. Spoon over the greens and vegetables, tossing lightly to coat.