This recipe appears in:5 Fruity Frozen Yogurt Variations
The classic creamsicle gets an upgrade with tangy yogurt and a big jolt of orange zest to bolster the fruit's bittersweet citrus edge.
Why this recipe works:
- Full-fat yogurt brings a balance of acidity, creaminess, and fruity flavor to the dessert.
- Using both orange juice and zest emphasizes the flavor and aroma of fresh orange.
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice from 4 large oranges
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest from 1 large orange
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon, or to taste
- Kosher salt
Whisk together yogurt, orange juice, zest, and sugar in a mixing bowl until sugar has completely dissolved. Add lemon juice and salt in 1/4 teaspoon increments, until flavor tastes balanced between sweet and tart. Chill in an ice bath or refrigerate until yogurt registers at least 40°F on an instant-read thermometer.
Churn yogurt in ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer ice cream to airtight container and chill in freezer for at least 4 to 5 hours before serving.