This recipe appears in:Summer Bean Salads: Greek Butter Bean Salad With Tomatoes, Dill, and Oregano
Inspired by gigantes plaki (Greek-style baked beans), this flavorful salad features butter beans enveloped in a vinegar-spiked tomato dressing, with dill, oregano, and a touch of cinnamon.
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup canned tomato puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Greek
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil over medium heat in a medium skillet until shimmering. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until tender and nearly translucent, about 6 minutes.
Add beans, tomato puree, vinegar, dill, parsley, oregano, and cinnamon. Season with salt and pepper, bring to a simmer, and cook until flavors meld, about 3 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to serve or cool to room temperature before serving. This dish is best eaten at room temperature, so remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before serving.