This easy Southwestern-style salad combines inky black beans, fresh jalapeños, and corn for a colorful and picnic-friendly dish. The dish gets its bold flavor from a dose of bright-but-basic chili-lime vinaigrette. The secret to its success is a sprinkling of corn chips for some textural crunch and an extra hit of salt.
Note:The black bean salad is equally enjoyable cold or at room temperature. Make it at least an hour ahead since you'll want to let the flavors meld, but wait to garnish it with the corn chips and cilantro until you're ready to serve the beans. You want the chips to remain crackly and the herbs vibrant and bright.
Black Bean Salad With Corn, Cilantro, and Chili-Lime Vinaigrette
About This Recipe
|Active time:||10 minutes|
|Total time:||1 hour|
|This recipe appears in:||Summer Bean Salads: Black Beans With Corn, Cilantro, and Chili-Lime Vinaigrette|
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- 1 ear of corn, boiled and shucked, kernels sliced off
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup crumbled corn chips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced cilantro leaves and tender stems
Combine beans, onion, corn, and jalapeño in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, oil, vinegar, chili powder, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper and whisk again.
Toss vinaigrette with black bean mixture. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. When you’re ready to serve the salad, add corn chips and cilantro and stir to combine. Serve cold or at room temperature.