The Best Egg Salad
Perfect is a word that I throw around a lot, and it's always with the understanding that it's a goal that can be strived for but never achieved. This particular recipe for egg salad is about as close to perfect as I've ever had. It's not fancy, there are no special ingredients, but it's well balanced, with bright, fresh flavors and a texture that spans from rich and creamy to crisp and crunchy.
Every great egg salad starts with perfectly cooked eggs. Ours combines roughly mashed eggs with fresh mayonnaise and lemon juice, along with diced celery, scallions, and parsley for the perfect balance of creamy and crunchy textures and bright, fresh flavors.
Why this recipe works:
- Steaming eggs is the best way to cook them for even cooking through to the core, and easy peeling.
- Crushing the eggs with fresh mayonnaise by hand gives you a good mix of chunky and creamy textures. Scallions and celery add crisp freshness.
- Fresh lemon juice adds brightness and acidity to the mix.
The Best Egg Salad
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Serves 3 to 4|
|Active time:||5 minutes|
|Total time:||5 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||The Food Lab Turbo: How to Make The Best Egg Salad|
- 6 hard steamed eggs, chilled and peeled
- 1/4 cup homemade or store-bought mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon zest and 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh juice from 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup finely diced celery (about 1 small stalk)
- 1/4 cup finely sliced scallions, white and pale green parts only (about 2 scallions)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bread, lettuce, and thinly sliced radishes, for serving
Combine eggs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, celery, scallions, and parsley in a medium bowl. Using your hands, squeeze eggs through your fingers, mixing contents of bowl until reduced to desired consistency; alternatively, smash and mix with a firm whisk. Season generously with salt and pepper. Serve with sliced radishes, lettuce, and bread to make sandwiches, or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.