This recipe appears in:How to Make Sloppy Chori-Joes (Chorizo Sloppy Joes)
Spicy chorizo sautéed with avocado and poblano peppers makes for a flavor-packed, adult-friendly upgrade to standard sloppy joes while still maintaining the sweet and savory quality that makes the originals so darn delicious. Once you've got the chorizo on hand, this recipe comes together in under 30 minutes.
Note: Store-bought fresh Mexican chorizo can be used in place of the homemade. Remove from casings before using. Store-bought salsa verde can be used in place of homemade.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium poblano peppers, finely diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 recipe Mexican chorizo
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- Hot sauce, such as Frank's, to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 soft hamburger buns, toasted
- Sliced avocado, for garnish
- Sliced white onion, for garnish
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions and peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and well-browned, about 10 minutes. Add chorizo and cook, breaking it up with a potato masher or whisk. Continue cook until meat is cooked through, abut 5 minutes.
Drain excess fat and return pan to heat. Add sugar and tomato sauce and cook, stirring, until reduced to a sauce-like texture. Stir in hot sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into toasted burger buns, top with avocado and onion, and serve.