Reprinted with permission from Simple Thai Food: Classic Recipes from the Thai Home Kitchen by Leela Punyaratabandhu. Copyright 2014. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House. All rights reserved. Available wherever books are sold.
Red Curry Paste (Nam Phrik Kaeng Phet) From 'Simple Thai Food'
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Makes 1 cup|
|Active time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||15 minutes|
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coriander seeds, toasted in a dry skillet over low heat until fragrant (about 1 minute)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted in a dry skillet over low heat until fragrant (about 1 minute)
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 7 dried Thai long chiles, seeded, soaked in hot water until soft, and drained
- 10 dried bird's eye chiles, seeded, soaked in hot water until soft, and drained
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped galangal
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced lemongrass
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped kaffir lime rind
- 2 teaspoons shrimp paste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro roots or stems
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
Puree everything in a food processor until smooth.