Reprinted with permission from Simple Thai Food: Classic Recipes from the Thai Home Kitchen by Leela Punyaratabandhu. Copyright 2014. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House. All rights reserved. Available wherever books are sold.
Kari (Yellow) Curry Paste (Nam Phrik Kaeng Kari) From 'Simple Thai Food'
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Makes 1 cup|
|Active time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||15 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Curry Noodles With Chicken (Kuai-Tiao Kaeng Sai Kai) From 'Simple Thai Food'|
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coriander seeds, toasted in a dry skillet over low heat until fragrant
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted in a dry skillet over low heat until fragrant
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, toasted in a dry skillet over low heat until fragrant
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 3 dried red Thai long chiles, seeded, soaked in hot water to cover until soft, and drained
- 5 dried bird's eye chiles, seeded, soaked in hot water to cover until soft, and drained
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped galangal
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped lemongrass
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped kaffir lime rind
- 2 teaspoons shrimp paste
- 4-inch piece fresh turmeric, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro roots
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
Puree everything together in a food processor until smooth.