A ginger-teriyaki marinade and glaze gives these grilled beef kebabs a savory-sweet flavor with just a little bite.
Why this recipe works:
- Sirloin tips provide the right balance between tenderness and flavor for kebabs.
- Using 1 1/2-inch cubes allows the steak enough time to sear over direct heat and still remain medium-rare to medium inside.
- Pineapple, onions, and bell peppers add sweet and fresh flavors to the rich steak.
- A final brushing of teriyaki glaze at the end of cooking deepens the flavor of the marinated meat.
- Yield:Serves 4-6
- Active time: 40 minutes
- Total time:2 hours 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic (from about 3 medium cloves)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin tips, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced into 1 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 onion layers each)
- 2 medium red, yellow, or orange bell peppers, cut into 1 1/2-inch squares
- Type of fire: two-zone indirect
- Grill heat: medium-high
Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add ginger, garlic, and red pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in teriyaki sauce, 1/4 cup of pineapple juice, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
Pour half of marinade into a small bowl and whisk in remaining 1/2 cup pineapple juice. Reserve remaining marinade in saucepan as a glaze to be used during grilling. Place beef cubes in a large resealable plastic bag. Add marinade and seal bag, pressing out as much air as possible. Marinate, refrigerated, for at least 2 and up to 5 hours.
Thread beef onto skewers, alternating with pineapple, onion, and bell peppers.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and arrange coals on one side of the charcoal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Grill skewers over direct heat until beef is well seared on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Move skewers to cool side of grill and brush all over with reserved teriyaki glaze. Cover grill and continue to cook until center of beef registers between 125-130°F on an instant read thermometer. Transfer skewers to platter and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.