Crisp and tender poached shrimp salad seasoned with a touch of mayonnaise, jalapeño, and radish goes perfectly with lemon-spiked deviled eggs.
- Yield:Makes 8 deviled egg halves
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 6 hard boiled or hard steamed eggs, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon, lemon halves reserved
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro leaves and tender stems, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons finely diced jalapeño, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon finely diced radish, plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 medium shell-on shrimp
- Very thinly sliced jalapeño, for garnish
- Radish matchsticks, for garnish
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Place all of the yolks in a medium bowl. Select 8 of the best looking egg white halves and set aside. Reserve the remaining 4 for another use. Add 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, half or cilantro, half of jalapeño, and half of radish and, using a sturdy whisk, mash until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer yolk filling to zipper-lock bag. Filling and egg white halves can be stored covered in the refrigerator up to overnight before filling and serving (lay egg white halves cut-side-down on a large plate and cover with plastic wrap).
Place shrimp in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer over high heat and remove from heat. Let stand for 1 minute, then rinse shrimp under cold running water. Peel and roughly chop shrimp. Dry carefully on paper towels. In a small bowl, combine chopped shrimp, remaining tablespoon mayonnaise, remaining teaspoon lemon juice, remaining cilantro, jalapeño, and radishes, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cut off corner of zipper-lock bag and pipe filling mixture into egg white halves, overstuffing each hole. Place a jalapeño slice on top of each egg and top with shrimp salad. Garnish with cilantro leaves, radish matchsticks, and diced jalapeño. Serve immediately.