Sweet and savory Thai-style fried shallots are a natural pair for lemony deviled eggs with hot diced chilies.
- Yield:Makes 8 deviled egg halves
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:25 minutes
- 6 hard boiled or hard steamed eggs, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely diced jalapeño or 1 teaspoon minced Thai bird chilies, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fried shallots
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place all of the yolks in a medium bowl. Select 8 of the best looking egg white halves and set aside. Reserve the remaining 4 for another use. Add mayonnaise, jalapeño or Thai bird chilies, lemon juice, and half of fried shallots. Using a stiff whisk, mash until thoroughly combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer yolk filling to zipper-lock bag. Filling and egg white halves can be stored covered in the refrigerator up to overnight before filling and serving (lay egg white halves cut-side-down on a large plate and cover with plastic wrap). Cut off corner of zipper-lock bag and pipe filling mixture into egg white halves, overstuffing each hole. Garnish with remaining fried shallots and jalapeño. Serve immediately.