While the ingredient list is slightly longer than your simple back of the Baker's chocolate box brownie, it's worth it—these are no one dimensional brownies. They have a fudgy texture, a full bodied dark chocolate flavor, and crackling top.
Why this recipe works:
- Using three types of chocolate (unsweetened, bittersweet, and cocoa powder) ensures an extra chocolatey flavor.
- Dissolving some of the sugar helps to create a glossy top to your brownies.
The Ultimate Fudgy Brownies (and Three Variations)
About This Recipe
|Yield:||makes one 8- by 8-inch pan|
|Active time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||1 hour|
|Special equipment:||8- by 8-inch pan|
|This recipe appears in:||How to Make the Best Fudgy Brownies|
- For the Basic Brownies
- 8 tablespoons (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup (7 ounces) plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (5 ounces) all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- Boozy Fruit and Nut variation:
- 2 teaspoons bourbon
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries, divided
- 3/4 cup raisins, divided
- 1 cup chopped almonds, divided
- Salty Peanut Blast variation:
- 1 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped, divided
- 5 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Hazelnut and Nutella Swirl variation:
- 1 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 6 tablespoons Nutella
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350°F. Place a 13- by 8-inch piece of parchment or foil in pan so that sides extend over two edges. Lightly grease sides of pan.
Place butter, bittersweet chocolate, and unsweetened chocolate in bowl set over pan of barely simmering water. Gently heat until just melted, stirring. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Whisk sugar, eggs, salt, and vanilla in large bowl until light (see note). Whisk in chocolate mixture until thick and glossy. Whisk flour and cocoa in small bowl, then stir into chocolate mixture until just combined.
Pour into pan and bake until just set, 28 to 30 minutes. Avoid overbaking for the fudgiest texture. Let cool completely in pan. Run knife along edge of pan and grab onto paper ends to carefully lift brownies out of the pan.
Boozy Fruit and Nut: Stir bourbon, 1/2 cup cranberries, 1/2 cup raisins, 3/4 cup almonds into the batter. Pour batter into the pan and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cranberries, raisins, and almonds on top. Bake as directed.
Salty Peanut Blast: Stir 1 cup peanuts into batter and pour into pan. Drop tablespoons of peanut butter on top of batter. Using small offset spatula (or butter knife) swirl peanut butter into batter. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup peanuts and salt on top. Bake as directed.
Hazelnut and Nutella Swirl: Stir hazelnuts into batter and pour into pan. Drop tablespoons of Nutella on top of batter and using small offset spatula (or butter knife) swirl into batter. Bake as directed.