This recipe appears in:Savory Grits With Slow-Cooked Collard Greens From 'Afro-Vegan' Hominy and Spinach in Tomato-Garlic Broth From 'Afro-Vegan'
Reprinted with permission from Afro-Vega: Farm-Fresh African, Caribbean, and Southern Flavors Remixed by Bryant Terry. Copyright 2014. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House. All rights reserved. Available wherever books are sold.
- 1/2 small head of green cabbage (about 1 pound), thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 head garlic, broken apart into cloves and unpeeled cloves smashed with the flat side of a knife
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 9 cups water
Combine all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Decrease the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for about 1 hour. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, pressing down on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. (Compost the solids.) Use immediately or let cool and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or the freezer for up to 6 months.