This recipe appears in:5 Cocktail Recipes That Will Help You Love Mezcal
This simple variation on the classic Last Word swaps out the gin for savory mezcal and tosses in a slice of serrano pepper, making for a smoky and spicy variation on the drink.
Note: Want it hotter? Add another slice of serrano to the drink, or add in spicy bitters or a shrub such as Bitter End Thai Bitters or Bittermens Hellfire Habanero Shrub to bring the heat.
- 3/4 ounce mezcal
- 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice, from 1 to 2 limes
- 3/4 ounce Luxardo maraschino
- 3/4 ounce Green Chartreuse
- 1 half-centimeter slice serrano pepper (see note above)
- Garnish: serrano pepper slice
Add mezcal, lime juice, maraschino, Chartreuse, and serrano pepper to a cocktail shaker. Fill 2/3 full with ice and shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker begins to frost, about 20 seconds.
Double strain into a chilled cocktail glass, garnish with additional pepper slice and serve.