A simple and classic stir-fry that combines tender strips of lean marinated chicken breast with scallions and ginger. This light and easy dish comes together in under an hour.
Why this recipe works:
- Marinating the chicken in a mixture of wine, soy sauce, oil, and cornstarch helps it retain moisture as it cooks.
- Cooking a slice of ginger in the oil before stir-frying the remaining ingredients helps infuse the oil and layer flavors.
- Stir-frying the ingredients in batches before adding them back together at the end ensures that you get properly high heat at each step, providing superior flavor and texture.
About the Author: I was born in Guangzhou, the birthplace of dim sum, and raised in the Chinatown neighborhood of Philadelphia. As a sibling-less child, cooking was a way to cure after school snack attacks and a way to keep myself entertain. That's how my love for food and cooking started, and it continues to grow. I blog at friedwontons4u.com and I am on twitter @friedwontons4u.
Easy Stir-Fried Chicken With Ginger and Scallions
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Serves 2 to 3|
|Active time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||45 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Chinese Cooking 101: How to Marinate Meat for Stir Fries Easy Stir-Fried Chicken With Ginger and Scallions|
- 1/2 pound chicken breast, sliced about 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 10 thin slices julienned ginger, plus one 1/4-inch-thick slice
- 4 scallions, cut into 2-inch segments
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 medium cloves garlic, finely minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- Steamed rice, for serving
Place the sliced chicken in a large bowl and add salt, sugar, ground white pepper, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, 1 teaspoon oil, and cornstarch. Mix well and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
After 30 minutes, take the chicken out of the refrigerator. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok over high heat until smoking. Add the 1/4-inch-thick slice of ginger. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds, then remove and discard the ginger.
Add the chicken. Spread the chicken out with the spatula and cook without moving until slightly browned, about 1 minute. Continue to cook while stirring regularly until nearly cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Heat remaining tablespoon oil in wok over high heat until smoking. Add the scallions and onions. Season with salt and cook, stirring, until the onions are tender, another 2 minutes. Return chicken to the wok along with julienned ginger and minced garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to serving platter and serve immediately with rice.