This savory bread pudding is filled with ground chicken, leeks, shiitake mushrooms, and a sprinkling of white wine. It's fully make-ahead: assemble in advance and it's ready to bake immediately or the next day.
Why this recipe works:
- A simple but savory mixture of leeks, chicken, and mushrooms with cheese makes this strata the perfect meal for a hearty brunch or a light lunch or dinner.
- Easy make-ahead assembly means that this is a dish that's ready to serve when you are, whether it's a Tuesday night dinner or a lazy Sunday brunch.
Notes: To cut the leek into half moons, slice in half vertically, place each piece cut side down, and slice into 1/2-inch pieces.
About the Author: Yvonne Ruperti is a food writer, recipe developer, former bakery owner, and author of the new cookbook One Bowl Baking: Simple From Scratch Recipes for Delicious Desserts (Running Press, October 2013), and available at Barnes & Noble, IndieBound, Powell's, The Book Depository. Watch her culinary stylings on the America's Test Kitchen television show. Follow her Chocoholic, Chicken Dinners, Singapore Stories and One Bowl Baking columns on Serious Eats. Follow Yvonne on Twitter as she explores Singapore.
- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:4 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium leek (about 10 ounces), white and light green part sliced into 1/2-inch half moons (see note above)
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, washed, trimmed, sliced into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces ground chicken
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 large eggs
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces hearty French bread, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add leek, mushrooms, garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until vegetables have softened and are beginning to turn golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add chicken and cook until just cooked through, breaking up into pieces with wooden spoon, about 3 minutes. Stir in wine and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and let cool.
Whisk eggs, yolks, and cornstarch in large bowl until homogenous and lump-free. Whisk in half and half, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and cayenne.
Add cooled chicken mixture, cheese, and bread cubes to milk mixture. Gently toss to combine. Pour into greased 3 quart casserole dish, cover, and let sit at least 2 hours or overnight.
When ready to bake, adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350°F. Unwrap dish and bake until golden and center is just set, 40 to 50 minutes. Serve warm.