Inspired by classic Quaker Chewy Granola Bars, this gluten-free version made with marshmallows, almonds, and chocolate chips nails the textbook chewy texture and delicious, candy bar-like flavor. While these bars contain dairy, they can easily be made dairy-free by using an equal amount of coconut oil in place of the butter.
Why this recipe works:
- Melting marshmallows into the base produces exactly the right kind of chewiness.
- Dark brown sugar contributes the deeper, richer flavor that marshmallows lack.
- Yield:Makes 24 bars
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:2 hours 15 minutes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups gluten-free quick-rolled oats (not old-fashioned oats)
- 2 cups gluten-free crisp rice cereal, like Kellogg's Gluten-Free Rice Krispies
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 cups (5 ounces) marshmallows
Spray 9- by 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. In large bowl, toss together oats, crispy rice cereal, almonds, chocolate chips, and salt.
In large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly, until sugar melts. Add marshmallows and continue to cook, stirring, until marshmallows melt. Turn off heat and stir in oat mixture until just combined.
Press mixture evenly into prepared baking dish and refrigerate for 2 hours. Remove from refrigerator. Using thin metal spatula, lift granola out in a single layer. Cut into 24 bars. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.