This recipe appears in:One Bowl Baking: Cheesecake Streusel Muffins
These muffins deliver the flavor of sweet and lemony cheesecake in a quick and easy breakfast sweet.
Why this recipe works:
- Softening the butter before combining it with other ingredients allows for easier mixing when you're forming a batter by hand.
- We spoon cheesecake filling into the center of the raw batter directly in the muffin tins before baking; The cream cheese filling bakes right in.
- The recipe is designed to be made in stages, all in a single bowl, in order to minimize cleanup.
Notes: To spoon the cheese filling into batter, follow these steps: Fill a tablespoon with cheese filling. Dip the tablespoon into the batter and, using another spoon, scrape the filling as deep into the batter as possible. (Note: much of the filling will stay towards the top). There is no need to wash bowl throughout this recipe. If some of the batters combine, that is fine. If there is more than a tablespoon of cheese filling leftover, discard before mixing streusel.
About the Author: Yvonne Ruperti is a food writer, recipe developer, former bakery owner, and author of the new cookbook One Bowl Baking: Simple From Scratch Recipes for Delicious Desserts (Running Press, October 2013), and available at Barnes & Noble, IndieBound, Powell's, The Book Depository. Watch her culinary stylings on the America's Test Kitchen television show. Follow her Chocoholic, Chicken Dinners, Singapore Stories and One Bowl Baking columns on Serious Eats. Follow Yvonne on Twitter as she explores Singapore.
- For Muffins:
- 8 tablespoons (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons zest from 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 2/3 cup (8 1/3 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- For Cheese Filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup (2 1/3 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- For Streusel:
- 1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces) plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (1 3/4 ounces) packed light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
Muffin batter: Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and preheat to 375°F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Stir butter, sugar, salt, and zest in large bowl until creamy and light. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until completely combined. Whisk in vanilla and milk. Add flour and baking powder to bowl, then whisk until just combined. Spoon batter into cups.
Make cheese filling: In same unwashed bowl, stir cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Whisk in lemon juice, vanilla, and yolk until completely combined. Spoon tablespoon sized portions of cheese filling into batter (see note).
Make streusel:In the same unwashed bowl (see note), toss flour, brown sugar, salt, and butter until mixture forms moist crumbs. Press onto top of muffins.
Bake until golden and center is just set, about 18 to 21 minutes. Let muffins cool in pan 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool. Serve warm or room temperature. Store leftovers in refrigerator.