If you're looking for an extra crunchy biscotti with updated flavors, give this chocolate chip and candied almond version a try.
Why this recipe works:
- Like traditional Italian biscotti, these cookies are made without butter, which keeps them extra crisp and light.
- Cinnamon coated candied almonds are an easy way to add a subtle background of cinnamon to the whole cookie—their flavor permeates the dough. If you can only find regular candied almonds, add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to the dough with the dry ingredients.
- The slight bitterness of dark chocolate chips helps balance the sweetness from the almonds, while making them pretty addictive flavor-wise.
Note: I used the cinnamon coated almonds from Trader Joes
About the author: Carrie Vasios Mullins is the editor of Serious Eats: Sweets. She likes to peruse her large collection of cookbooks while eating jam from the jar. You can follow her on Twitter @carrievasios
- Yield:Makes 2 dozen biscotti
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cups cinnamon coated or candied almonds
Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 325°F
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Whisk in vanilla. Use a wooden spoon to stir in dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips and almonds.
Using well floured hands (dough will be sticky) divide dough into two equal pieces. Form each into a 2-inch wide log and place on baking sheet. Bake until just starting to turn golden at the edges, 30 minutes.
Carefully transfer logs to a cutting board and let cool 10 minutes. Use a serrated knife to cut logs into 1-inch cookies. Place cookies, cut side up, on the baking sheet. Bake until just lightly toasted, another 20 minutes. Let cool completely.