Pair this with a kale salad using the leftovers for a well-rounded meal.
About the Author: Yasmin Fahr is a food lover, writer, and cook. Follow her @yasminfahr for more updates on her eating adventures and discoveries, which will most likely include tomatoes. And probably feta. Happy eating!
Vegan Curry Butternut Squash Soup With Kale
About This Recipe
|Active time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||One-Pot Wonders: Vegan Curry Butternut Squash Soup With Kale|
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into rounds and quarters (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 orange or red bell pepper, deseeded and diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- Pinch of dried red chili flakes
- 3/4 cup quinoa, washed and rinsed
- 4 cups homemade vegetable stock or store-bought low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups curly kale, leaves cut into 1-inch ribbons and thick stems removed
- 2 tablespoons fresh juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup toasted pepitas
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the butternut squash, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Remove and set aside. Add the remaining oil and heat until shimmering. Add the onion, carrot, pepper, and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the curry powder and chili flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the quinoa and toast until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the broth and adjust heat to maintain an active boil and cook until the quinoa is done, about 9 minutes. Stir in the kale and squash, until the kale has wilted and the squash tender but not mushy, about 2 minutes more. Stir in lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, divide between serving bowls, and top with the pepitas and cilantro.