Cabbage and noodles flavored with caraway and parsley is a classic Hungarian dish made all the more comforting with the addition of ground chicken. It's soothing and mild like a good chicken soup, and you only need one pan and 20 minutes to finish it off.
Why this recipe works:
- Cooking the egg noodles directly in the pot with the cabbage, chicken broth, and butter loads them up with flavor.
- With only a few, very inexpensive supermarket ingredients, minimal prep, only one pot to clean, and a quick cooking time, this is a dish that can be on the menu any night of the week.
Notes: When covering with lid, leave slightly askew to allow some steam to escape and to keep mixture from boiling over. I like this dish with clean flavors, but for a creamier and richer, though more muted flavor, stir in the sour cream at the end.
About the Author: Yvonne Ruperti is a food writer, recipe developer, former bakery owner, and author of the new cookbook One Bowl Baking: Simple From Scratch Recipes for Delicious Desserts (Running Press, October 2013), and available at Barnes & Noble, IndieBound, Powell's, The Book Depository. Watch her culinary stylings on the America's Test Kitchen television show. Follow her Chocoholic, Chicken Dinners, Singapore Stories and One Bowl Baking columns on Serious Eats. Follow Yvonne on Twitter as she explores Singapore.
Quick One Pot Hungarian Chicken and Noodles With Cabbage
About This Recipe
|Active time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||20 minutes|
|Special equipment:||large skillet with lid|
|This recipe appears in:||Quick and Easy One Pot Hungarian Chicken and Noodles With Cabbage|
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 small head cabbage (about 1 pound), quartered, cored, sliced into 1-inch strips
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken stock
- 5 ounces egg noodles
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 4 to 6 tablespoons sour cream, optional (see note above)
Heat butter in skillet over medium heat until melted. Add onions and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until onions have softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in caraway seeds and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add chicken and cook, stirring, until chicken is no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cabbage and cook until wilted to about half it's volume, about 3 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, another teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Bring to simmer. Nestle in egg noodles, cover, and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until noodles are cooked but still quite firm, 5 to 6 minutes.
Remove from heat, stir in parsley, stir in sour cream (if using), season to taste and serve. Broth will thicken slightly upon resting.