This recipe appears in:Sunday Brunch: Mushrooms, Bacon, and Asparagus Topped With Eggs
- 8 strips thick cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 16 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into 2- inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- Sliced scallions, to garnish
Cook bacon in a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate with a slotted spatula. Remove all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat from the pan and place back over high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook tossing often until the mushrooms have browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Add thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add asparagus and cook, stirring, until asparagus is tender-crisp, about 6 minutes. Return bacon to pan, add lemon juice, and toss to combine. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm while you cook the eggs.
Wipe out skillet, add oil, and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add eggs, season with salt and pepper, and cook to desired doneness. Divide mushroom mixture between 4 plates, top each with an egg and sliced scallions and serve immediately.