This recipe appears in:Beyond Curry: Spiced Indian Yogurt (Chaas)
[Photograph: Prasanna Sankhe]
Note: Indian black salt (kala namak) can be found in Indian grocers or ordered online.
About the author: Denise Dsilva Sankhe is a writer & creative director by profession. But that's only when she isn't eating her way across India. She recreates this delicious cuisine in her Mumbai home, which she shares with her husband, who has long since given up his determination to have salads for dinner.
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt (see note above)
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons toasted and ground cumin seeds (divided)
- 1 Serrano chilli lightly bruised (optional)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro leaves, plus whole leaves for garnish
In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, water, black salt, salt and 11/2 teaspoons of the cumin powder until lightly frothy. Add the Serrano chilli (if using) and chopped coriander leaves. Stir. Pour into glasses. Sprinkle the remaining cumin powder in each glass and top each with a coriander leaf. Serve immediately.