This recipe appears in:One-Pot Wonders: Warm Winter Vegetable Salad With Ricotta and Herbs
Note: To toast pistachios, cook in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, stirring the contents to ensure that none burn. If you find the price of pistachios a little too high for your liking, go for pumpkin seeds instead that will still give you that textural crunch without the super high price tag.
About the Author: Yasmin Fahr is a food lover, writer, and cook. Follow her @yasminfahr for more updates on her eating adventures and discoveries, which will most likely include tomatoes. And probably feta. Happy eating!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Pinch of dried chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed and roughly chopped
- 5 cups halved and trimmed Brussels sprouts
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch rounds (about 2 cups)
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch rounds (about 2 cups)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup homemade vegetable stock or store-bought low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bunch curly kale, leaves removed from stems and cut into ribbons
- 1 cup shelled pistachios, toasted (see note above)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cups fresh ricotta cheese, for topping
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet or pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes, cumin, coriander, and rosemary, stirring to combine, then add the Brussels, parsnips and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables have browned slightly, about 2 minutes more.
Add the stock and stir, allowing the vegetables to soften, 3 to 4 minutes more. Stir the kale in batches, until wilted and allow to cook until all of the vegetables are finished cooking. Stir in the pistachios and vinegar, seasoning to taste with more salt and pepper. Divide the vegetables in four bowls and top with large scoop of ricotta, a pinch of salt and pepper and serve.