Smooth, scoopable, and fragrant vanilla ice cream, no dairy required.
Why this recipe works:
- A mix of coconut milk and extra-rich coconut cream provide the smooth texture for a creamy vegan ice cream.
- Corn syrup adds additional plush body to the base.
- Simmering and puréeing the ice cream base emulsifies coconut fats that could otherwise separate and turn grainy while churning.
Notes: You can find coconut cream in Chinese and Southeast Asian groceries or online. Don't use cream of coconut or creamed coconut instead—they're different products and can't be substituted. If your diet permits white sugar refined with bone char, feel free to substitute an equal volume of it for the raw sugar in this recipe for a cleaner flavor.
Read more on the technique behind vegan ice cream.
Foolproof Vegan Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream
About This Recipe
|Yield:||makes about 1 quart|
|Active time:||40 minutes|
|Total time:||5 hours|
|Special equipment:||blender (upright or immersion), ice cream maker|
|This recipe appears in:||How to Make Great Vegan Ice Cream|
- 1 13.5-ounce can (about 1 3/4 cup) coconut milk
- 1 14-ounce can (about 1 3/4 cup) coconut cream (see note above)
- 1/4 cup "light" (clear) corn syrup
- 3/4 cup raw (turbinado) sugar (see note above)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Scotch, bourbon, or Irish whiskey
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
In a medium saucepan combine coconut milk, coconut cream, corn syrup, and sugar and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a simmer. Transfer mixture to blender, cover very tightly, and blend for 30 seconds. (Alternately use immersion blender directly in pot.) Pour into an airtight container, stir in vanilla extract and whiskey, then add salt to taste.
Cover mixture and chill in refrigerator until it is very cold (at least 45°F, about 4 hours), then churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and chill in freezer until ice cream is firm enough to scoop, about 5 hours.