Note: You can use two kaffir lime leaves in place of the lime wedge in the slow cooker during step 1.
About the author: Jennifer Olvera is a veteran food and travel writer and author of "Food Lovers' Guide to Chicago." Follow her on Twitter @olverajennifer.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Slow Cooker Red Curry Soup With Chicken and Kale
About This Recipe
|Active time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||8 hours|
|Special equipment:||slow cooker|
|This recipe appears in:||Slow Cooker Slow Cooker Red Curry Soup With Chicken and Kale|
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium homemade or store bought chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red Thai curry paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced ginger
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small red pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups tightly packed chopped kale leaves
- 2 small potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, diced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice, plus one reserved lime wedge, divided
Place chicken, chicken broth, coconut milk, curry paste, curry powder, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, onion, red pepper, jalapeño, kale, potatoes and mushrooms in a slow cooker, along with lime wedge. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours.
Discard lime wedge and shred chicken. Add fish sauce and lime juice. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed. Stir to combine, ladle into bowls and serve.