About the author: Jennifer Olvera is a veteran food and travel writer and author of "Food Lovers' Guide to Chicago." Follow her on Twitter @olverajennifer.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Portuguese Baked Eggs With Chorizo and Ricotta
About This Recipe
|Active time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||1 hour|
|Special equipment:||13- by 9-inch baking dish|
|This recipe appears in:||Sunday Supper: Portuguese Baked Eggs With Chorizo and Ricotta|
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely diced Spanish chorizo
- 3 red bell peppers, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 serrano peppers, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (about 2 tablespoon)
- 11/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Loaf of crusty bread, sliced
Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. When oil is shimmering, add chorizo and cook, stirring, until fat is rendered, about 3 minute. Add bell and serrano peppers, onion, and garlic. Continue cooking, stirring often, until vegetables soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Add chili powder, paprika, thyme, and bay leaves and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and basil. Season with salt and pepper, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes. Discard thyme and bay leaves.
Spray a 13- by 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and spread pepper sauce evenly in the dish, leaving six indentations to cradle the eggs. Evenly top divots with ricotta and crack eggs on top of each one.
Top with cheddar and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to the oven to cook until eggs are just barely set and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately with bread.