A hearty salad with rye berries, tender carrots, onions, cilantro, celery, and toasted Marcona almonds in a simple olive oil vinaigrette.
Note: Wheat berries or barley can be used in place of rye berries.
Carrot and Rye Berry Salad with Celery, Cilantro, and Marcona Almonds
About This Recipe
|Active time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||1 hour|
|This recipe appears in:||Vegan: Carrot and Rye Berry Salad with Celery, Cilantro, and Marcona Almonds|
- 1 1/2 cups dried rye berries (see note above)
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound small carrots
- 1 cup Marcona almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons whole grain or dijon mustard
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons balsamic or sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, peeled, and thinly sliced on a bias
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place rye berries in a medium saucepan and cover with water by 2 inches. Add 1 bay leaf and season heavily with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until rye berries are tender, about 30 minutes. Drain in a fine mesh strainer and run under cool water until well chilled. Discard bay leaf. Place strainer over a large bowl and let drain for at least 15 minutes.
While rye berries cook, place carrots and remaining bay leaf bay leaf in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Season heavily with salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain under cold running water and peel by rubbing skin off under running water. Cut carrots into 1- to 1/2-inch chunks on a bias. Set aside.
Toast almonds in a medium skillet over medium heat, tossing frequently, until nutty brown and dark in spots, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Combine mustard, garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, and olive oil in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add drained rye berries, carrots, almonds, celery, onion, and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss gently with your hands until the salad is coated in the dressing. Serve immediately or store in a sealed container for up to 3 days.