Slow-Cooker Chicken With 40 Cloves of Garlic and Fingerling Potatoes
About This Recipe
|Active time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||6 hours|
|Special equipment:||Slow cooker|
|This recipe appears in:||Slow Cooker Chicken With 40 Cloves of Garlic and Fingerling Potatoes|
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds skinless chicken thighs
- 40 cloves (about 3 heads) garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons Cognac or brandy
- 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice, plus 1 lemon, cut into wedges, divided
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 pounds fingerling potatoes
Heat oil in a large skillet until shimmering. Generously season chicken with salt and pepper and brown on both sides, about 8 minutes total. Transfer to the slow cooker, along with garlic, wine, Cognac, stock, lemon juice, bay leaves, thyme, and potatoes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook on the low setting for 6 hours.
Because the sauce is fairly thin, you may want to reduce it on the stovetop. To do so, discard the thyme and bay leaves and strain liquid into a small stockpot over medium-high heat, reserving garlic and potatoes. Simmer until desired thickness is reached, about 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste if necessary, and serve chicken with potatoes, garlic, and sauce, passing lemon wedges for squeezing on top.