This recipe appears in:Sunday Supper: Mediterranean Chicken, Feta, and Herb Wrap With Stewed Potatoes
If want to skip the pita and serve the dish as straight-up chicken and potatoes on a plate, you'll want to reduce the rather thin sauce on the stovetop for 15 to 20 minutes.
About the author: Jennifer Olvera is a veteran food and travel writer and author of "Food Lovers' Guide to Chicago." Follow her on Twitter @olverajennifer.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (8 to 10 thighs)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces small potatoes
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 package pita bread, warm
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 325°F.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. When oil is shimmering, cook chicken until browned on both side, about 8 minutes total, flipping once. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 4 minutes longer. Add chicken broth, white wine, potatoes, tomatoes, bay leaves and thyme.
Bring to a simmer, cover, and transfer to the oven. Cook until meat and potatoes are fork-tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from the oven and shred meat using two forks, discarding any fat as well as the bay leaves and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To serve, spoon saucy potatoes and tomatoes into a separate bowl. Line individual plates with pita. Top with chicken, feta, and a shower of parsley, mint, and cilantro. Serve wraps immediately with potatoes and lemon wedges on the side.